Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Redemption by M. L. Tyndall - Book Review

Swashbuckling pirates, battles at sea, a lady in distress, and a missing father all combine in The Redemption by M. L. Tyndall. This is book one in her Legacy of the King's Pirates series from Barbour.

The first surprise came when I realized that the pirate captain, Edmund Merrick, had already become a Christian. How could this be? How could he continue his "occupation" as a pirate and profess to be a Christian? The questions drove me to read as quickly as I could. Finally it dawned on me. Edmund was a British subject in 1665 working at the Queen's order. He was a "legal" pirate. He and his pirate crew hunt down Spanish ships for the Queen. The British were at odds with the Spanish during this time period. With these facts straight in my mind, I could finish the book.

The problem with not with Ms. Tyndall's writing; it was with my lack of quick knowledge of the history of the time period.

I must say that in spite of my confusion I had to keep reading. Edmund Merrick's character enticed me to keep going to see how he would deal with the conflicts he experienced between the requirements of his job and his need to follow a more Christian path. Would he change or revert to his pre-Christian ways?

In Lady Charlisse Bristol, M. L. Tyndall created a strong heroine. Her determination to live after the shipwreck that stranded her alone on a deserted island and to find her missing father made me want to cheer her on. As Charlisse struggles to get through all the trials, I wondered how much more could she endure?

I've watched a lot of movies about pirates and enjoyed them, but I've not done a lot of reading from this time period. I am looking forward to the next book in this series, though. Ms. Tyndall's writing style, characterizations, and historical settings made me wonder what will happen in The Reliance when it is published next spring. The weaving of the threads of historical facts is so well done in this novel that the unfamiliar nature of them became a rich background instead of a jarring intrusion.

The romance M. L. Tyndall writes in The Redemption drew me into the story as well. Would Edmund and Charlisse find a way to cross the ocean of doubt and fear between them in order to be able to acknowledge their attraction for one another?

Women readers will find this story captivating, yet it is written with a strong enough hero to attract male readers as well.

kmparis

No comments: