Sunday, July 29, 2007

Renovating Becky Miller - A Book Review

Reading books written in first person is not usually my first choice, but I found Renovating Becky Miller so enticing that I forgot it was in first person.

Sharon Hinck drew me into the book by opening each chapter with a daydream Becky Miller was having. In beginning of each chapter, Becky loses herself in a movie she and her husband have seen on their weekly date nights. Then her real life comes crashing into reality!

Becky Miller’s life is not easy. She’s a mother, a wife, has a part-time job at her church working with the women’s ministries, and is disabled, just to add a little icing to her cake-of-a-life.

Already harrying, Becky’s life is complicated by the purchase of a new home for her family. What looked like the perfect solution to a cramped home life turns into a renovation nightmare for Becky and husband Kevin.

Will their marriage survive? Will the family survive? Will Becky remain sane, or will she lose herself in one of her daydreams and never come home?

I kept turning pages of Renovating Becky Miller partly because I had to know what Sharon would use as her next chapter opening, but mostly because I became engrossed in Becky’s life. I laughed and I cried and now I have to go back and find the first book in Sharon’s series about Becky Miller, The Secret Life of Becky Miller.

By the way, I guessed most of the titles of the movies Sharon uses as chapter opening scenarios, but in case you don’t recognize them, there is a list of them at the end of the book, just so you can satisfy your curiosity.

kmparis

No comments: