Monday, July 30, 2007

Snitch - A Book Review

I confess…I confess. I snatched Snitch from the arms of a stocking clerk in LifeWay Bookstore a few weeks ago. That’s right, straight from the young man’s arms. Shock, surprise, and awe flittered across his face. “I must have this copy,” I said as I made my way to the check-out counter to pay for my copy.

I didn’t need another book to read. I had just had a copy of another author’s newest book autographed to add to my ever towering stack of books to read. But I had to have Snitch. Rene Gutteridge’s Occupational Hazards series is just too enticing to put off purchasing. In fact, I read it immediately. I couldn’t resist – tempation got the better of me.

Snitch didn’t disappoint me. The characters are engaging, likeable and real. They have flaws; they’re not perfect, but they try. And the humor remains. For me, I think, the humor that Rene uses in her novels is one of the biggest draws of her writing style. Her style absorbs her readers. You’re in the midst of the book without trying.

Oh, yes, what is the plot of Snitch? Well, Mackenzie “Mack” Hazard, a member of the Hazard family (all former clowns), takes on a new job in undercover work for the Las Vegas Police Department. The task force she has been assigned to has a tough job – uncover the culprits in an auto theft ring operating in Las Vegas. The task force is headed by Sergeant Ron Yeager, a man a couple of years away from retirement. Yeager’s task force is comprised of rookies, expereinced undercover officers and a minister … a minister? Yes, an undercover minister on sabatical from his pulpit.

How can such a misfit group of people work together to achieve their purpose without getting them all killed? Read Snitch to find out if and how the task force solves their problem. Snitch is a book laugh-packed with thrills.

kmparis

No comments: